Des Moines Area Religious Council
With important programs to feed, assist and nurture the needs of Greater Des Moines, the Des Moines Area Religious Council (DMARC) works with over 125 member congregations from five different faith traditions.
Working together to meet basic human needs for the greater Des Moines community.
Latest News from DMARC
- Update (6/22/2020): DMARC and Capital City Fruit are excited to announce that produce boxes will continue to be distributed through the DMARC Food Pantry Network through August, and more free public giveaways have been scheduled for the following Fridays: June 19 & 26; July 10, …Read More »
- In April, the DMARC Food Pantry Network assisted 12,091 unique individuals, with nearly 1,500 of those people using a DMARC food pantry for the first time ever. DMARC mobile food pantries assisted over 2,000 individuals with another 10,000 individuals assisted through DMARC’s network of partner …Read More »
- The Des Moines Area Religious Council (DMARC) Food Pantry Network is launching a food pantry delivery service to meet the needs of people experiencing food insecurity in Greater Des Moines at this time. If a person is unable to obtain food by either visiting a …Read More »
- DMARC CEO Matt Unger was recently interviewed by Anne Discher of Child and Family Policy Center for their podcast “A Deeper Dive” to discuss how COVID-19 is impacting people living with food insecurity in our state. Give it a listen below!Read More »
- This March, the DMARC Food Pantry Network assisted 18,729 individuals, an increase of 11.8% compared to March 2019. In the last two weeks of March (March 16-31), DMARC saw over 1,000 people make their first visit ever to the Food Pantry Network, four times the …Read More »
- The Douglas M. Woods Hunger Challenge is a DMARC tradition! Help Mr. Woods’ support go even further this year! Your congregation can double the impact of your gift in two ways: Congregations that have given in the past two years: We challenge you to host …Read More »
- Please follow this page for ongoing updates and announcements regarding COVID-19. Last updated: 2:38pm, 6/24/2020. As the coronavirus (COVID-19) impacts us locally, we wanted to communicate how DMARC is responding. We are and have been actively monitoring information from the CDC and Iowa Department of …Read More »
- The Des Moines Area Religious Council strongly opposes Senate Study Bill 3158, which would kick nearly 60,000 Iowans off Food Assistance (SNAP), as well as expand work requirements to teenagers, pregnant women, caretakers, and college students and impose work requirements on Medicaid recipients. This is …Read More »
- DMARC Food Pantry Network Director since 2012, Becky Whitlow has over 20 years experience in product merchandising, warehouse operations, and distribution of hard goods. An expert in building community collaborations and customer relationships, Becky has experience managing $500,000-$1.5 million in product inventory, purchasing, and redistribution …Read More »
- Food Pantry Use in December In December 2019, 19,613 people used a DMARC food pantry, an 11.6% increase in use compared to December 2018. Food Pantry Use Continues to Increase In calendar year 2019, the DMARC Food Pantry Network assisted 55,745 unique individuals comprising 23,820 …Read More »