Save the Date for Winter Thaw 2014
Join us for Winter Thaw 2014 (formerly January Thaw) on January 28 & 30 and February 4 & 6, 2014, at Tifereth Israel Synagogue, 924 Polk Blvd., Des Moines, IA 50312. This annual tradition in adult education and fellowship is for everyone interested in learning more about other faiths in the community. This year’s theme is Eat, Pray, Love!
Winter Thaw 2014 is presented by the Des Moines Area Religious Council (DMARC), the St. Joseph Educational Center, the Center for Social Ministry, the Jewish Federation, and the Masjid An-Noor Muslim Community.
Print a flyer to post in your congregation or office building. Save the date bulletin inserts can also be printed and shared with your congregation’s worship service. Cost for one course is $15; for all 4 nights $50 (courses are scheduled for 1 night). To register, you can download and print this course description and registration form and send in your registration by postal mail to the DMARC office. Or complete this online registration form using Adobe Reader and save or submit to Kim Coulter!
Entertainment is from 6:30-7:00 p.m. Education courses run from 7:00-9:00 p.m., and will change each night. The topic list is below:
Tuesday, January 28th
- The Ethics of Eating: Why Eating is a Moral Act, with James F. Ennis, executive director of the National Catholic Rural Life Conference
- Exploring Contemplative Prayer and Practice, with Kathy Reardon, spiritual director at the Des Moines Pastoral Counseling Center
- Christian Love and the Challenge of Inclusivity, with Matthew Halbach, director, St. Joseph Educational Center, and Ph.D. candidate
Thursday, January 30th
- Tikkun Olam (Changing the World): The Jewish Response to Hunger, with Neil Salowitz, retired member of the board of directors of the MAZON: A Jewish Response to Hunger and Community anti-hunger advocate
- Singing our Prayers: The chants and prayers of Taize, with Paul Witmer, pastor and spiritual director
- Love is a Verb, with Dianne Morris Jones and Nancy Schornack, Licensed Mental Health Counselors and Certified Daring Way Facilitators with Dr. Brene’ Brown
Tuesday, February 4th
- The Art of Jewish Cooking, with Louise Kaufman, Ann Blumberg, and Judy Gregerson, members of Tifereth Israel Synagogue
- Introduction to Meditation and Mindfulness, with Charles Day, teacher
- Sit. Stay. Love. An Introduction to Pet Therapy, with Rhonda Crane and Faith Jones, Therapy Dogs International evaluators
Thursday, February 6th
“Eat, Pray, Love” Religious Tapestry of Des Moines’ Faiths Panel including:
- Robert Nye, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, West Des Moines
- Dr. Rizwan Shah, Muslim Community Organization Masjid An-Noor
- Rabbi Steven Edelman-Blank, Tifereth Israel Synagogue, Des Moines
- Baljit Virdi, Iowa Sikh Temple, West Des Moines
- Vipin Bhanir, Jain Center
- Pramod Mahajan, Hindu Temple & Cultural Center of Iowa
- Rev. Rachel Mithelman, St. John’s Lutheran Church, Des Moines
Join us and grow in faith…explore other faith traditions…nurture your spirituality and health!