6 ways to make a difference during Hunger Action Month
As the DMARC Food Pantry Network continues to see more people than ever before, this September is a great time to find a way to help us fight hunger right in your own backyard. Every little bit counts… see if you can find a new way to get involved this month.
Become an anti-hunger advocate
Hunger is affecting every neighborhood in the Des Moines Metro right now. Educating others about food insecurity is one of the best ways to encourage action and there are lots of ways to learn more. Read our latest publications, follow us on social media, and follow our latest advocacy efforts. You can encourage social groups you are a part of to support DMARC, invite us to speak to your group, and spread the word.
Hold a campaign at your workplace or congregation
Another great way to encourage others to act is by making it fun! During the fall, the start of the school year, football season, and several major holidays are all great occasions to host a food and fund drive with your workplace or congregation. If you are an Iowa or Iowa State fan, plan to host your drive in conjunction with the upcoming Sept. 9 matchup and encourage some friendly competition amongst rivals.
Show up to an event
There are always opportunities to come out and support DMARC. Coming up in September …
- Volunteer Saturday mornings at the Downtown Farmer’s Market collecting produce items
- Get into any Sunday home game for free at the Iowa Cubs with a donation of three food items
- Join us for any of the upcoming Meet My Religious Neighbor events
Throw on your volunteer cap
Every day hundreds of people a DMARC Food Pantry – many for the first time ever. As a volunteer you can make that experience much less intimidating. Volunteers are also always needed to…
- assist in the DMARC-ket Southside Food Pantry
- Help sort incoming food donations
- Assist with our food delivery service or red barrel program
- Serve on a committee as a leadership volunteer or join our young professionals group
- Play a part in daily office administrative tasks
Find a unique way to give back
There are lots of ways to give your resources without spending a single dollar. Find a nontraditional way to give and make your resources go farther. Here are a few ideas.
- Donate an unwanted or undrivable vehicle
- Donate a gift of stocks, bonds, or even grain
- Donate produce items from your garden
- Plan a legacy gift with your estate
- Find out if your employer offers Volunteer Time Off (VTO) or does matching gifts for your volunteer hours/financial contributions
Host your own fundraiser
Did you know that DMARC can purchase food cheaper than what you can purchase and donate from the grocery store? Raising funds is one of the most effective ways to support the work of the DMARC Food Pantry Network … and it’s easier now than ever.
You can start your own online fundraiser using the online tool Just Giving or host a fundraiser on your personal Facebook page.