Host a Drive
Host a Competitive Food Drive!
Looking for a little friendly competition to support a good cause? You can host an Iowa vs. Iowa State fund or food drive for DMARC at your workplace or congregation!
- Compete to raise the most funds and food for the DMARC Food Pantry Network
- Make it fun! Set up a friendly competition between Hawkeye and Cyclones fans
- Have a prize for the winning team, or a fun punishment for the losing team
You have the freedom to make this activity as fun and engaging as you’d like it to be! You can decorate the space where food will be collected with team colors and paraphernalia. You can also post updated tallies of donations for each team in your office breakroom or other high visibility community area. We also encourage you to share progress through your social media to stir up enthusiasm among your followers. Many organization will spur competition by offering a prize for employees on the “winning” team—anything goes!
To learn more about how to host a competitive drive for this Iowa event or for another time of year please contact Shoshana Salowitz, Community Outreach and Volunteer Manager at (515) 277-6969 x 18 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources for Your Competitive Drive
You can help the DMARC Food Pantry Network feed those in need in Greater Des Moines by hosting a fund or food drive! Let us help you by providing some tips to make your food drive successful.
Download a How to Host a Fund or Food Drive flyer (PDF).
- Call the Food Drive Coordinator at 515-277-6969 x 18 to indicate you are planning a fund and/or food drive and the date(s) of your event.
- Establish a committee to organize and market the event. Set your kick-off and ending dates. A one to two week food drive works best.
- Hold contests between offices or work units to see who can collect the most food. Challenge participants’ skills by holding a food sculpture contest using donated food and cans. Get creative!
- Establish a drop off site for donated money and food. We can make arrangements to provide you with a Red Barrel to hold the food that is collected and envelopes for those who wish to give cash donations.
- Be sure to publicize the success of your food drive when it is completed.
- With generous cash donations, we can purchase 2-6 more times the food than what retail prices afford because we buy at wholesale and in bulk. We are grateful for both cash and food donations.
- Collect non-perishable food items in unbreakable containers (no glass).
- View our Most Needed Items list to find which food donations have the largest impact.
Completing Your Drive
When your drive is complete, the items collected are to be delivered to the Food Pantry Network Warehouse at 1435 Mulberry Street in Des Moines, on the southwest side of downtown Des Moines. The hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Friday. Delivering the items yourself helps us control costs and allows us to use our funds to purchase food. If you need delivery assistance, please call our warehouse at 515-282-2026. Thank you!
- Count the number of food items you collected and indicate this number when the items are delivered or picked up.
- Package the food you collected in cardboard boxes or grocery bags. It is helpful if dry goods (cereals, rice, etc.) are packaged in separate boxes.
Thank you for choosing the Food Pantry Network for your food collection! You are making a difference by helping hungry people in our community. For more information, contact our Community Outreach & Volunteer Manager Shoshana Salowitz at 515-277-6969 x 18 or email@example.com.