Host a Drive
You can help the DMARC Food Pantry Network feed those in need in Greater Des Moines by hosting a fund or food drive! Let us help you by providing some tips to make your food drive successful.
Download a How to Host a Fund or Food Drive flyer (PDF).
- Call the Food Drive Coordinator at 515-277-6969 x 18 to indicate you are planning a fund and/or food drive and the date(s) of your event.
- Establish a committee to organize and market the event. Set your kick-off and ending dates. A one to two week food drive works best.
- Hold contests between offices or work units to see who can collect the most food. Challenge participants’ skills by holding a food sculpture contest using donated food and cans. Get creative!
- Establish a drop off site for donated money and food. We can make arrangements to provide you with a Red Barrel to hold the food that is collected and envelopes for those who wish to give cash donations.
- Be sure to publicize the success of your food drive when it is completed.
- With generous cash donations, we can purchase 2-6 more times the food than what retail prices afford because we buy at wholesale and in bulk. We are grateful for both cash and food donations.
- Collect non-perishable food items in unbreakable containers (no glass).
- View our Most Needed Items list to find which food donations have the largest impact.
Completing Your Drive
When your drive is complete, the items collected are to be delivered to the Food Pantry Network Warehouse at 1435 Mulberry Street in Des Moines, on the southwest side of downtown Des Moines. The hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Friday. Delivering the items yourself helps us control costs and allows us to use our funds to purchase food. If you need delivery assistance, please call our warehouse at 515-282-2026. Thank you!
- Count the number of food items you collected and indicate this number when the items are delivered or picked up.
- Package the food you collected in cardboard boxes or grocery bags. It is helpful if dry goods (cereals, rice, etc.) are packaged in separate boxes.
Thank you for choosing the Food Pantry Network for your food collection! You are making a difference by helping hungry people in our community. For more information, contact the DMARC Red Barrel/Food Drive Coordinator John Robinson at 515-277-6969 x 18 or email@example.com.